Competitive enterprises turn to the cloud to increase the pace of innovation. They are under constant pressure to produce quality solutions at a reasonable cost, maintain control, and enforce policies without disrupting development. At this point, the benefits of the cloud are already well-known. Many enterprises have already adopted it or have planned to do so. If you have adopted the cloud, you need a cloud management platform too.
When finding the best cloud management platform, you need to make careful selection. You have to consider a number of things, including reduced complexity. You need to choose a platform that will automate your operations and provide you with the environment that requires the least effort. But before all that, you need to acknowledge the challenges that come with the cloud:
- Some cloud services are better than others. They are not created equal. When developing your cloud strategy, you might find that more than one cloud service provider is required to do the job.
- The right solution often involves both public and private cloud because they serve different purposes and carry various benefits. Public clouds are great for a variety of services and rapid scaling, but private clouds are a best fit if you need total control over your data.
- Reducing costs is the main driver for adopting the cloud, but it can also be difficult to track especially when your cloud involves multiple providers. Your cloud waste could pile up and cloud resources could be left running and unattended. As a result, managing, monitoring and enforcing policy on multiple cloud management platforms becomes a full-time job.
- You need to implement an efficient and automated workflow in order to gain the operational agility of the cloud. You also need to answer many questions about tracking assets, change management, and dealing with various APIs.
What can a Cloud Management Platform do?
A cloud management platform provides a unified API for cloud resources. It is the most efficient way to leverage a multi-cloud strategy. The best cloud platform will allow you to track and reduce costs, use a self-service model, empower developers to create push-button deployments, and leverage your existing IT/Dev tools. But before you choose one, you need to consider these three key requirements of cloud platforms:
- Innovation is key. Choose a cloud management platform that is not only fast but also offers automated provisioning to maintain the innovative operations of your business. An innovative solution is required to speed up the delivery of services and handle the technology of your organization.
- Reduced complexity. Choose a cloud management platform that allows access to the physical and virtual infrastructure within your organization. Modern cloud platforms are now offering variable computing strategy that increases the speed and flexibility through which digital services are delivered.
- Improved Cloud Compliance. If you want to stay competitive, you need to choose a secure cloud platform that adheres to the security complaints that your organization follows. It should also be integrated into your service management process. Moreover, it should help you resolve and manage the issues within your organization.
When it comes to choosing the best cloud management platform, there is no room for compromise. You need to consider the resources you must manage, your focus, the interface compatibility you are looking to leverage, compliance and security. While it is tempting to choose what is popular, the right platform for your business could differ from what you really expected. In many cases, the right technology comes from an outsider.